with summer over, this mix captures the joy of rainfall after a drought, the calm of a warm bath, and the fear of the deep unknown and what lurks there.
full tracklist (expand to view)
01. fusoxide - [The Dynamically Generated Future] Underwater Beginnings
02. mandrasigma - [Hold It Close] Rainwalker
03. Plaid - [Double Figure] light rain
04. aivi - [tiger & water] silver lining
05. tenby - [sense data] acid rain
06. plum raincoat - [STAFFcirc vol. ε₀] pond fairy
07. FLOOR BABA - [PREHISTORY] ELECTRIC MOSS ZONE
08. xerxes - [unreleased] ride the fog
09. tdstr - [Etc. 1] Underwater
10. Shirobon - [Warp] Umbra
11. Jim Nopédie - [Another Childhood] Drowned Town (Wet-Dry World)
12. Aphex Twin - [Come To Daddy [EP]] Flim
13. Zantilla - [P E P P E R C O R E] Crashing Waves
14. coda - [XYLITH (Original Game Soundtrack)] Safety Layer
15. Groke - [The Dark Deep EP] Drowning
16. Ceekayed - The Steps
17. Autechre - [Tri Repetae++ (disc 2)] Vietrmx21
18. quarkimo - [Visitor] The Fog Appears
The ineffable genre of "Water Music", songs about or centering water-adjacent experiences, has always been one of my favorites. There are countless demoscene tracks that feature water prominently, due partially to water also being a fascinating thing to render in real time.
The impetus for this mix came when I heard fusoxide's opening track for their new release, The Dynamically Generated Future, which captures that demoscene/early 3D game underwater vibe perfectly. From there I wanted to capture both newer digital fusion music from the scene, as well as older tracks that have stuck with me, such as xerxes' and Ceekayed fantastic tracked work, and Plaid's wonderful "light rain".
Most of these tracks are pretty directly in reference to rain, water, the ocean and so on, but at least a few probably don't have a direct relationship to water, but they just FEEL that way to me, like Shirobon's "Umbra" and coda's "Safety Layer".
This mix also serves as my autumn mix, as I strongly associate water and the fall season, especially now that I live in California and the 7-ish month drought comes to an end at last! Tracks like mandrasigma's "Rainwalker", and aivi's "silver lining", both from exciting new digital fusion label Infloresce Records (which I'm part of as a mastering engineer), capture in my mind the joy of rain.